Subject: Re: [Leica] mechanical shutters
From: Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 02:50:15 -0500

That's precisely the reason I got out of the repair business after less than a year
in just one shop. You are little more than the slave of the shop owner.
My worst memory is cleaning gravy out of an old view lens. It was a piece
of crap but the guy insisted that he wanted it returned to service. The retard
had dropped it in the bowl and left it there until the gravey cooled off and then let the
thing dry
fully assembled for several months.. His friend the shop owner had me working on the thing
for
what seemed like a whole day. I think I got it running but I don't remember.

It kinda bugs me to hear some listers talk about some of these select techs as
if they were rocket scientists. I remember some guy a year or so back posted
an article about a no-brainer repair problem on an M and reported that the that the tech
had worked delicate magic on the camera and gotten it back to service. It kinda
got me wondering about just how easily impressed some people on this list are.

After a couple of years of repairing privately I quickly discovered that
this was a financial dead end. That was around 1982

Now I buy broken cameras, fix them and add them to my small collection
It's a lot of fun but I would never ever do it as a job again and refuse a few
job requests and even some job offers each year.

Lastly, I'de trust Leitz over any of these superstar private techs any day of the week.

See Ya
Javier