Subject: RE: [Leica] Street photography using LF (Was: DOF, Perspective etc.)
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:24:45 -0700

> Which makes me wonder... has anyone ever tried street photography with a
> large format camera?  If one could manage to plant the beast in a shady
> corner somewhere so as not to be _too_ conspicuous, couldn't wide, candid
> shots be taken covering much of the scene and then later enlarged and
> cropped to bring out only the interesting components?

Chris Killip in the UK (now at Harvard) - his book In Flagrante. Also in the
UK, Paul Smith. Some of Mary Ellen Marks LF stuff, though it is really kinda
posed. Also someone else I can't remeber. Then what about Wegee and so on?

I have been doing a bit of this (but not the cropping thing), hand held with
my Super Graphic (ahh for a Linhof) and so has Johnny D I think.
Interesting, fun at times, and a somewhat new way of working.

Tim A

PS I don't consider street photography to necessarily be candid photography.
Nor that the photographer needs to be invisible.