Subject: Re: [Leica] Stiff Summicron
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:49:29 +0200

Jack;

I had exactly the same problem as you describe with my ASPH
Summicron. It has gone away now that I have used the lens for some
time. I did indeed  work my lens in front of the TV, but the purpose
of the exercise was to learn to set the distance intuitively without
looking through the viewfinder. I can now set the distance to the
door handle,  the window, the flower vase and many other things very
accurately without looking. And the lens is not stiff any more.

Chris

>  >> I love the camera, but I noted a problem with the lens. When turning the
>>>  focus (starting on the closest focus setting), I noticed that the focus
>>>  becomes very stiff at 3.5 ft thru 5 ft. Then it loosens slightly. Am I
>>>  correct in assuming that this is a flaw in the lens and that I
>>>  should return
>>>  it to the store?
>>>  Thanks,
>>>  Jack
>

>Jack,
>It's probably just a bit of dried lubricant trapped in the helical. Spend
>half and hour in front of the TV cranking it back and forth and see if it
>doesn't go away. Of course, in a new lens, you shouldn't have to do that,
>but this may be more convenient for you that the logistics of returning it
>and getting another one.
>
>--Mike

- --
Christer Almqvist