Subject: Re: [Leica] Using Vivitar 2800 flash with M6 TTL
From: Dean Chance <mreyebal@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 21:09:04 +0000

on 11/10/00 4:20 AM, Bill Franson at bfranson@greennet.net wrote:

> At 04:45 PM 11/08/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>> I'm new to the LUG world. Seems like a fun bunch.
>
> Runaway!!! Don't look back!!!
>
> More seriously, I have the 2800 too and consider it a Vivitar 283 made for
> Leicas. But, and that's a big but, I can't get used to its automatic
> shutdown feature. I don't know how many shots I've missed because the flash
> shut off. If I could get someone to disable that feature I would use the
> flash more. I just picked up the Olympus S20 and love its compactness and
> punch. It's only flaw is its lack of pc pigtail for use with M3 or 4
> without adapter.
> That being said I just completed an all Leica shoot with no flash. Had an
> M3 set up with a 90 f/2 and an M6 switching off between a 35 and a 21.
> Available (hospital) lighting. Wide open and hand held. Loved it. And the
> client did too. A couple more times and the Nikons go on the block!
>
> Bill Franson

Yeah, the auto shutdown is a pain. The Vivitar 2000, which I also have, does
not turn off, ever, unless I do it. It has less power and the scale on the
back only gives you flash to subject distances/apetures up to 400 ASA. So it
takes a litte more work from the old meat computer (brain.) I also have a
Nikon f100 with an SB28. I should probably just use the Leicas for available
light and use the Nikon for flash, but leaving the Leicas at home is like
chopping off a part of my body. I have a shoot at a ski resort coming up in
two weeks. I'll probably drag everything up. Photo is only a part-time job
for me. I make enough to pay for the equipment and pocket a few chinks.

Dean Chance