Subject: Re: [Leica]Step up rings
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 19:53:58 -0500

Rodgers, David jotted down the following:

> Speaking of which, I'd been looking high and low for a 60-62 step up ring. I
> found one in a junk bin at a photo store in Austin, TX. The store wanted
> $35. Normally it's a $25 item, new. I asked, "Why so much?" I was told it
> was prices as such because it said "Leica" on it. It did for some curious
> reason. It was obviously made by Tiffen (even said Tiffen on it), and it was
> plastic. I could squeeze it together slightly with my fingers.

I got a 60-62 step up from B&H Photo Video about six months ago.  It's
aluminium, which means that putting it on the lens was a delicate operation,
but once on, it stays on.  Can't remember what the cost was, but (tap, tap,
tap in the browser window...) ah yes, $8.95 for both Bower's and the
"generic brand".  Heliopan do one for three times that price.

Check out: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ and then try and nagivate through
their insanely stupid new layout (photo->filters->step-up rings->60mm).

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | "Any sufficiently advanced technology
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |  is indistiguishable from magic."
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |               -- Arthur C. Clarke