Subject: [Leica] Re: Why a 35mm lens? - Now with Contax overtones
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 12:44:04 -0600

Don

>>My pro-Contax slant is influenced by owning an extensive Contax SLR system
and my believe that Zeiss lenses offer the same level results as Leica, and
in most cases at considerably less expense.<<

I have both Contax and Leica SLR systems. It probably sounds foolish, but I
use both enough to justify owning both. Each year I get asked to do some
senior portraits and I use Contax.

There are things I like about each system. I like my Contax ttl flash
system. I like the 60/2.8 Zeiss Makro Planar, and the 85/1.4 Planar. I like
the R7 body. I like the Leica 80-200/4 R and the Leica 35/2 R. Plus I have a
400/5.6 Telyt. Where else am I going to find a lens of that focal length,
and that quality for $300? The televit is incredibly functional. And it will
probably outlast me. I use it a lot for sports.

Contax manual focus will follow the footsteps of Canon, IMO. Excellent
quality at a reasonable price. I got rid of all my MM stuff and kept 3 AE
lenses. It's not worth it to  replace them with Leica equivalents. And if my
ST dies I'll just toss it and buy an Aria.

I just saw a Canon pair that was a dream of  mine to own years ago. A Black
F1n w/85/1.2. (priced less than an expensive dinner.) Would owning 3 SLR
systems get me kicked off the LUG? Just kidding. I wasn't very tempted. But
if were starting from scratch.....

Dave