Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: DOF
From: "M.E.Berube" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 12:36:39 -0500

At 06:25 AM 11/9/00 -0800, you wrote:
>If you crop a picture shot with a wide angle lens and then enlarge it
>so it is comparable to a print made through a longer lens, the DOF
>will be the same in both prints.  The actual lens doesn't affect DOF.

um...not to be argumentative, but i disagree...
I am considering DOF to be the point of nearest acceptable focus to the
point of farthest acceptable focus in any given image.  Like Perspective,
it is set on the negative as a latent image by your choice of lens and
aperture. Nothing you do to it during or after development of the negative
can change the DOF (or perspective such as apparent background
compression.) You can change Composition and other characteristics (Gamma,
RGB, hue, contrast, etc..) in the wet or digital lab, but Depth of Field,
Focus and Perspective are determined in camera.

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube

Replies: Reply from Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: DOF)
Reply from "M.E.Berube" <MEB@goodphotos.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: DOF)