Subject: Re: [Leica] mechanical shutters
From: Axel Schwieker <axel@baer.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 12:36:02 +0100

Robert Appleby wrote:

> The advantage of a fully mechanical quality shutter is, besides its
> battery independence, that it can be repaired by any skilled technician
> even after decades. If the electronics break after 20 years or so you
> are usually left out standing in the rain.
>
> Axel
> <<<<<<
>
> Axel
> Twenty years is a hell of a long time. Will I be using the same camera in
> twenty years as I am now? I don't think so.

So much for how our expectations of cameras seem to differ. All of my
cameras are older than 20 years.

> My observation was a practical one: the electronics do actually seem to
> handle the horribleness of certain environments better. I'll take it six
> months at a time, or eleven (my longest trip to anywhere).

Ok, our practical observations also seem to differ. The only camera
which ever gave me serious trouble with its shutter is my newest camera,
an R3 with an electronic shutter. Never had such problems with my much
older mechanical Rolleis.

Axel