Subject: [Leica] Pushed photography to high levels, har har
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 19:07:49 -0600

> Astronomical photography is an excellent school. You must pay attention
> to printing manipulation AND worth printings. To resolution AND
> tonality. To camera, or most generally to optical quality, AND how to
> use it.
> It's a long chain, and many excellent challengers are on the start line.
> Between deep sky objects and Sun coronography, generations of
> photographers have pushed technics and art of photography at very high
> levels.
>
> JMB

Indeed. My dad was one of the Administrators of NASA under Gerald
Ford--Space Applications. (Jim Fletcher was the Director.) The satellite
program was under his aegis. I used to look at satellite pictures and
astronomical pictures, some of which the public didn't have access to. I
wish I had done more of it, but I didn't know that dad would succumb to
"peanut poisoning" in 1976! Anyway, I wasn't surprised when, in the past few
years, astronomical pictures began to be shown in galleries, and sold, as
art.

- --Mike