Subject: [Leica] r singh
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 23:29:09 +0100

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 08:51:08 -0800
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Subject: [Leica] r singh [was: Why a 35]
>[snip]
>Raghubir Singh used a variety of lenses in his early days (Nikon FM2, BTW)
>but ended up using a 21 (by the look of it) almost exclusively in his last
>work.
>Rob.

actually, it's a 28, and apparently in his early days he used a ... leica.
he later abandonned the m and 'graduated,' as he put it, to nikons.

there was a brief essay/interview on his work that pop photo published when
his last book came out. he discusses these and other material/technical
issues.

i saved the magazine and can scrounge up the details, if you like.

guy
<<<<<

You surprise me. A lot of the stuff in his Bombay book looks a _lot_ wider
than that. He was famous for being very cagey about his gear. Or anything,
for that matter. A strangely introverted snapper, old Rag. Most of us are
pretty outgoing. You can see that in his work as well, there's never any
intimacy. No engagement. The visual aspect is all.
There's a funny interview with him in the preface to the Bombay book with
that other old loony Naipaul, who goes on about a set of balloon strings
being "kite strings" and an old Parsi lady walking past a shop window as
wearing "some version of western dress" (just a typical Parsi frock).
Another expert who liked to keep the human side of the subcontinent at bay.
_But_, to get back to the lens, you may well be right.
Too late to ask him!
Rob.
PS, as for raghubir, I like his snaps, with the above reservations, don't
get me wrong.
Robert Appleby
V. Bellentani 36
41100 MO