Subject: [Leica] Re: ideal image size for screen?
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:32:43 -0800 (PST)

Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> wrote:

> is there an ideal size (in pixels, i suppose) for jpegs of 35mm
> images?  by ideal, i mean a size that will fit on most screens ('cept
> maybe the tiniest) without requiring the viewer to scroll hither and
> yon to get 'the whole picture,' as they say.

Every PC should be able to show 640x480 pixels.  Of course, some of
this is used up on the borders for scrollbar, menus, etc.  I wouldn't
recommend exceeding 600 pixels wide.  Vertical scrolling is more
acceptable.  I'd also suggest having thumbnails so the users can see
your images quickly to decide if viewing the larger images is
worthwhile.  Physically resize your graphics to what you want to be
displayed.  Don't just change the size tags in HTML...the full size of
the picture will still be sent to the client.