Subject: [Leica] Leica on wheels
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 18:10:07 -0600

Doug Herr wrote:

>>Bummer about the spill & the winter bike.  Nice site; I'm looking forward
more of your insites re: carrying Leicas on a daily bicycle commute.<<

Doug, Thanks! As you probably know, space is a premium on a bike, as is
weight. I carry a T2 much of the time. But I prefer my M6 whenever possible.
Favorite lenses are, of course, the 35/1.4 ASPH, and the 90/2.8. SLR
equipment is just too bulky, though I have carried my R7 a time or two. I
often carry a small bogen tabletop tripod that's small, light, and very
sturdy. It comes in very handy

Camera accessibility is very important. When I'm cycling and something
catches my eye, I want to take the shot quickly and move on. I'm trying to
find a front pack solution. I've tried two, but I wasn't happy with either
one. I want something that's light and easy to open, but I also want it to
protect my equipment in case of a spill. I ride quite a bit in the rain, so
protection from the elements is important, too.

I'll probably have to rig something up myself. I don't think I'll find
something off-the-shelf. I've been looking for months.

The ideal way to combine cycling and photography, I've found, is from the
stoker seat on a tandem. Plus tandems are large enough that I can store a
fair amount of gear.

Dave