Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V18 #161
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@metaversalstudios.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 18:30:05 -0500

At 07:08 AM 11/7/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Owing to distance and the wind and the language barrier the French
>thought the English were saying PLUCK YEW.  The dimness of time, and
>American vulgarism, has since wrought havoc with this historical
>gesture.
>
>There is a web site somewhere that explains all this.

And if you want the truth (although I like this story), you can refer to my
friend Jesse's book, The F Word.  Jesse's the North American editor for the
OED, and he knows more about slang than any man alive -- he also edited the
Random House Dictionary of Slang.  The etymology of the word "F***" is
truly fascinating.  (He was in the Times a couple of weeks ago, explaining
the difficulty he's having with the verb "to bitch slap."  Seems it's hard
to provide a precise definition, without using a simile:  ie. "to hit
someone as a pimp would his a prostitute."  Similes are not permitted in
lexicography.)