Subject: [Leica] Real Leica books
From: Tom Finnegan <TomF@piengr.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:41:40 -0800

Mr. Johnston's list of books the other day got me thinking that I hadn't
visited the local used book store in a while. So at lunch today I jumped
into the car and headed up the hill. I turn on the radio and suddenly have
the sounds of The Dead Milkmen's 'Punk Rock Girl' blaring out at me. I take
it as a sign and turn it up. At the bookstore I quickly flip through the
used cd's before wandering over to the photo section. Immediately a book
labeled 'The Democratic Forest' catches my eye. I'm reminded that I need to
drop off my ballot on the way home tonight. I pull the book off the shelf
and see that it is by the rather controversial Mr. William Eggleston. I flip
the book open to none other than 'Main Road to Greenville, Tennesee', the
rather innocent looking picture of a turn in a road that somehow sparked a
huge debate here on the LUG a while back. At the back of the book I see a
picture of a rather dapper looking MR. Eggleston holding a camera that looks
suspicously like my IIIf and Summarit.

I look around some more and come across another interesting book called
'Imprints, David Plowden: A Retrospective'. Some really great pictures with
a bit of a Walker Evans look to them. Most of the pictures appear to be
primarily MF and LF, but some of them might have been taken with a Leica. I
bought both. The total came out to $37, which seemed pretty reasonable to
me.

Tom Finnegan
Seattle