Subject: Re: [Leica]Why a 35mm lens?
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 11:02:24 -0500

> Alan Hull wrote:
>
>>I find it interesting that so many luggers seem to prefer the 35mm lens.
>>SNIP
>>For me, I find that anything less than 50mm is an "in your face "style.
>
> In some ways, Alan, it seems a personal space issue.  I always feel so
> far away with the 50, though occasionally use it.  When I am in a
> situation, whereever, I find myself positioned naturally such that 35
> frames what I want in the image.  I don't know why, but there it is.  If
> I have 50, I'm always conscious of needing to back up, and I feel
> cramped.

I agree with this. What I use depends on what I am shooting; when doing my
magazine work it is about 80% 28/35mm. When doing my street photography I
always use two M's with 35 and 50. Because in street photography the scenes
are so fluid I never know what I will be taking a picture of. With two focal
lengths ready to go I feel that I can compose a shot much better. I always
lean toward the 50 because it seems to give me the kind of intimacy that I
look for. Lenses are like artists brushes, some thick and some thin.

> H C-B did okay with a 50 and so did Robert Frank.  A very personal
> thing.  If you feel comfortable and naturally situated where a 50 works
> for you--that should be your lens.

It does not matter who you are or what you use, if you take a lot of
pictures you will end up with your own style.

> donal
> (who loves cutters, tolerates sloops and never sailed a ketch whose rig
> he liked, though they all moved the boats in the direction pointed.)

Plus ketches are terrible off the wind.
> Donal Philby
> San Diego
> www.donalphilby.com