Subject: Re: [Leica] Fw: Summitar, Elmar, Jupiter
From: "Jason Hall" <JASON@jbhall.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:20:30 -0000

Hi Stan

You're more likely to get a response if you ride a hand built exotic
alloy tubed bicycle with Italian bits fitted.

Which version of the Summitar were you using?  Hexagonal convex
aperture blades or the more rounded flat bladed version?  I have had
both, got rid of the latter and kept the hex because the glass was in
better condition, now I'm convinced that I had better results from the
one I ditched :-(  I suspect there is a lot of scope for variation
from one sample to another with these old collapsibles, due mostly to
age.

I have a 1980 Jupiter 12 which is certainly on a par with my Summitar,
I'm not convinced its "better" but I haven't used it enough to be
sure.  I also have a Jupiter 9 (for sale if anyone wants it) that wont
focus properly, though it seems ok stopped down.

I usually find myself wishing Id used an R with modern-ish glass
whenever I shoot some film with these lenses.

Jason