Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder Check and 35mm lens
From: "clive sanbrook" <clive.sanbrook@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:19:09 -0000

A suggestion - if worried about the ground glass - why not just do this with
film in the camera ;-()

Regarding use of a 35mm lens - I understand that to be truly 'standard'  a
lens would have a focal length of 43mm ? 50 mm is effectively a very short
telephoto and 35mm is only a very slight wide angle i.e. they both differ
from the 'norm' by 7 or 8mm - so what? I think it's down to 'horses for
courses'

In practice I started off always using 50 mm - perhaps because it kept me a
bit distant from the action - (it was also the only lens I had -choice
largely conditioned by MF use in the past perhaps) but as I found I prefer
to make contact with people while photographing them I'm now happy to use
the 35mm lens - and since it will also satisfactorily frame almosy any
'snapshot' I tend to leave it on the camera all the time.  I have the 35 apo
and am happy that I can crop the resulting negative and end up with an
acceptable print.

If producing slides for a show I might be a bit more selective and changes
lens more often - otherwise i just stand a bit closer :-)))))

Regards, as ever

Clive Sanbrook