Subject: [Leica] Finally!
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 21:30:08 +1300

Hi folks,

Well, i finally finished my thesis! It was submitted this afternoon,
and I'm going to have a very long sleep tonight. This is a very large
bulk mail to thank everyone for all the support over the last couple
of years. Many of you are listed in the acknowledgements to the
thesis, and for those of you who aren't, my apologies, and i promise
to put you in the acknowledgements to the PhD. Just give me 5 years
to rest up after this effort ok?

I owe many of you emails, letters, phone calls, and visits--i hope i
can start doing this some time very soon.  For those of you who are
interested in reading the thesis, drop me a line and i'll let you
know when it will be available on the web, or just drop by the Web
site and take the Godard link in a few weeks.

Many thanks to all of you, and hopefully see or talk to you soon!

Gary

Acknowledgements

There are an inordinate number of people to thank for this project.
My supervisor, Dr. Russell Campbell for advice, guidance and the
patience and fortitude to put up with my mid-afternoon ramblings. Dr.
Harriet Margolis for intellectual and physical sustenance over the
couple of years that this project slowly percolated on through.
Andrew Brettell for keeping my sense of humour intact. Dr. Lorna
McCann for patience, understanding and a sense of humour. Diane
Zwimpfer, I owe you many, many thanks, but especially I thank you for
helping me to keep sane throughout this and being there for me.

My family, who also contributed in so many ways I can't really begin
to explain: Brad, Lis, Richard, Renée, Tony, Emma, Mike, Alta,
Adrian, Shaye, Fletch, Clare, Chris, Jon, Rod, Jenny, Mel, Hamish,
Olivia, Steve, Col, Pete, Kay and Muriel, I thank you for keeping me
clothed, fed, housed, supported, and most of all--Loved. For putting
up with the erratic moods, the continual talk about Godard until you
were all bored to death, and the presence of mind to tell me when to
shut up. I'm sure a lot of you still think Godard has a lot to answer
for insofar as my mental health goes!

Thanks to the core London family unit, especially Mike and Alta, for
housing and feeding me while I researched. A very large thanks to the
London family unit for the resounding welcome as I lurched off the
aeroplane at Gatwick. I was overwhelmed and I'll never forget it. I
hope you know you're all thought of more than you think. Thanks to
Jon for San Francisco, I miss you, and I promise I'll be back! Chris
is owed an enormous debt of gratitude for last minute help in editing
and helping me to see the error of my 'damn, that's awkward' ways.
Clare is owed a big debt for helping me translate the French texts
from the Ciné-Tracts. Monty the cat is missed. Mum and Dad are
thanked for putting up with what they probably consider the perpetual
student.

Thanks to Apple hardware and the Internet, there are a lot of people
I've never met, and yet are all due many thanks for help, source
material, support and friendship: Gloria Monti, Robert Kinsman, D.A.
Pennebaker, Jonathan Takagi, Prairie Miller, Mark Langer, Sean
Carley, John Collier, Tom Abrahamsson, Buzz Hausner, Mark Rabiner,
Dick Hemingway, John Brownlow, and Jack Hill.

Lastly, I'd like to thank Jules. My long suffering partner who got
into a relationship with a writer 6 years ago, and had no idea she
was going to get involved with an academic for 5 of them. In my
defence, all I can say is, I didn't know either. Really. Deeply felt
thanks for tolerating the intolerable. And that would be me.

- --

"The difficulty now is that unexceptional adults believe the loss of
youthful dreaming is itself "growing up," as though adulthood were
the passive conclusion to a doomed activity and hope during
adolescence."

OO             The Uses of Disorder
[_]<|          Personal Identity and City Life -- Richard Sennett
  /|\
Gary Elshaw
Helen Clark Scholarship recipient
New Zealand