Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Filters part umpteen
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 14:55:24 -0800

Mark Rabiner wrote:
Jim Brick wrote:
Robert Appleby wrote:

A whole bunch of stuff re: filters... love 'em or hate 'em. ;-)

aaaaaah the same old story. There's those who believe you need them for protection,
"moi at onetime," then one learns..... who needs them unless they are required for
"effect improvement. of the photograph"

Yep only one time in 50 years have I had a surface damaged due to not having a
filter on a lens and that occurred due to my stupidity of  working tooooooooo close
to an arc welder!  A little bit of that sparky stuff kinda made a zit right in the
middle of a 28mm 2.8. Dang!  And do you no what?  It never showed up any where on
any frames stopped down to the max or open to the max.

I used it for awhile then sold it, bought another simply because I imagined even
though I couldn't see any difference in the transparencies I imagined it wasn't as
good.  Today?  I'd know better and just keep the lens and click away. ;-) Save the
money, buy film and single malt scotch instead!  ;-)

I think this filter/lens protection thing is subjective and one shouldn't belittle
another shooter if he believes that's his calling for filter use, by the same token
the filter user need not make a big thing out of it either. It's like, too each his
own, as experience has shown some of us have got along just fine without them for
years under all kinds of assignment conditions and experience has also shown the
reverse for the users..

Do I use filters?  Yes for visual effect only.

ted

Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Filters part umpteen)