Subject: Re: [Leica] R6.2 vs R8
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 6 Nov 2000 14:22:15 -0800

On Mon, 06 November 2000, "Birkey, Duane" wrote:

> I'm in the process of getting rid of my Canon FD equipment (I can make a
> list if anyone wants to buy something) and am planning on getting some R
> equipment as my "personal" SLR system.  I will still have my other digital &
> AF based system and M kit for day to day work stuff...
>
> I've looked through the PDF files from Leica, but still have a few wonder
> ifs related to these two cameras  R6.2 vs R8...   While I plan to look and
> handle these before buying... I'd like to get a head start on the process
> and some imput from the LUG/LEG.  If these seem trivial, remember, I've
> already looked at the Leica's PDF spec sheets.....
>
> 1)  What is the difference between the shutter release pressure to fire the
> two cameras?
>
> 2)  And can you handhold one better at slower speeds over the other?
>
> 3)  Is there much difference between the brightness of the screens in these
> two and (or the R-7) and are the accessory plain glass screens brighter and
> easier to focus than the standard ones...
>     I plan to use it mostly with the 80-200 f/4 and 60 macro.
>
> 4)  How does the manual metering display work in them..... a + - system.....
> similar to the M-6 or a system akin to EOS and Nikon AF cameras with several
> lines marking the amount of variation from plus or minus 2 or 3 stops etc.
>
> 5)  I'm most attracted to the R6.2 for size, weight, reliability and
> simplicity while still having TTL flash as well.    But.... I see some
> things about the R-8 that are nice too..
>
> Duane Birkey
> HCJB World Radio
> Quito Ecuador
> Duane's Photographs of Ecuador
> http://duane_birkey.tripod.com

Duane,

I've used both briefly and if I were in the market I'd have a hard time deciding which would better meet my needs.  The mechanical shutter of the R6.2 is a big deal to me, and likewise the R8's viewscreen and ergonomic design are WAY better than the R4sP I'm accustomed to.  The R6.2's ergonomic design is very similar to the R4sP, but I believe the R6.2's viewscreen is brighter, at the cost of reduced magnification.

The R8's meter indication in manual mode is outstanding... a set of lines indicating variation from 18% gray, and the shutter speed dial is an ergonomic delight.  The R6.2 is more difficult for me to get a good grip on, without an accessory grip (like the GMP).  I tried the Leica handgrip with the Winder-R and I hated it.  The grip was comfortable enough but there was no way I could reach the shutter speed dial.  The R8 is much better in this respect.

I like the classic simplicity, light weight and minimal battery dependance of the R6.2, but the R8's ergonomic design and the fantastic viewfinder and the half-stop shutter speed increments in manual mode would persuade me to buy it over the R6.2.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento