Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlargers
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 21:38:43 -0800

After some more thought on the subject, i.e. a Leitz machine for a ten year old, why not.
I'm a second generation Rollei and Leica user. My parents let me use their cameras when I
was eight/nine years old and I started processing and printing when I was thirteen. I
don't think I would had the sensibility to appreciate what one could do with this
incredible gear hadn't I been exposed to it so early.
While in college I had a part time job at a rental darkroom in Westwood, CA, it was
called Artcraft. From what I saw, I'm firmly convinced that the equipment a novice uses
affects their will to go on or to quit. The people that came in with their negs from
exactas, minoltas, or brand X did far worse than the people that came with negs made with
Leitz, Rolleis, etc. And yes, many came with their cameras with them to print. So we had
a pretty good idea what our customers were printing with. I think the ability to produce
a good print starts and ends with the quality of instruments one has at their disposal.
To this day more than twenty years later I'm still in contact with some of them. Those
that stuck with it had the best gear they could get right from the beginning.
Besides, the value is in what you can do with it, not in how much it cost.

Slobodan Dimitrov

Message from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Enlargers)
Message from Amilcar de Oliveira <amilcar@domain.com.br> (Re: [Leica] Enlargers)