Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicology
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 5 Nov 2000 11:42:06 -0800

On Sun, 05 November 2000, Mike JohnsTon, with tounge planted firmly in cheek, wrote:

> >Think about it! Do you folks have any idea how collectively moronically dumb
> >assed
> >stupid we look in the eyes of the management of  Leica every time we get all
> >snitty assed as we've seen this past couple of weeks?
>

> Ted,
> Well, I'm trying. I'm really trying to "get with the group" and humbly
> accept all the Canonical Presumptions, as follows:

<big SNIP>

Mike, you're getting the idea!

> Actually (although I tremble to admit it), I have a couple of other
> Leicalogical questions with regard to a few of the other Canonical
> Presumptions, as well. For instance, regarding Step Eight, I understood it
> to be a given that this did NOT apply to camera *bodies* before the
> introduction of the R8. Now that the R8 has been introduced, has the Rule
> been made pure again? What of the troublesome vestige in the catalog of the
> R6.2? Is it enough merely to _never_ imply that the R6.2 is enough of a
> Leica to lick the boots of the R8 (while still being better than every other
> SLR)?

Try 'em both fer yerself.  I still like the handling of the SL & R8 better than the R3 - R7 bodies, and I can't focus the R4sP as easily as the SL or R8.  Must be 'cuz of it's Minolta genes.

> And, regarding Step Six, what are we to make of the fact that the
> manufacture of a number of current Leica lenses are outsourced to Elcan in
> Midland, Canada, a subsidiary of Raytheon Corp.?

it's enough to me that the equipment meets Leica's specs.  If it meets Leica's specs I'm willing to try it; if it also meets my needs I'll keep it.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento