Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: alignment tool, was <Walt, you are dead wrong>
From: "zephyr blau" <bonehead@zephyrblau.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 22:50:29 -0800

Whoa Nelly;

i'm glad i'm driving air cooled german cars. old ones. the ones
that start w/ a "P" ;-)
just finished rebuilding the engine for the '66 912 (2 BLUE) the '58
speedster is next ("Brigette") all this wrench turning cuts into my
shooting time. i'll make a note of that. ;-)

>>> Cameras?!?  I thought this was the steel framed bicycle
>>> thread.  No wonder I have been having so much trouble following
>>> along.  Have been trying to figure out how to adjust the valves
>>> on my bike through the hole under the red dot...

against my better judgement:
1 1/4" 4120 chromoly straight guage in the head & down tubes
reynolds 531 seat tube (what the hell happened here ?)
reynolds 531 seat tube as the top tube (there, that's better)
cinelli sloping crown.  columbus forks blades,  hand raked 1 1/8"
ishiwata 5/8" seat stays, chain stays are unraked fork blades
campy ends. all campy NR from a '71 bottecchia except the bottom
backet assembly which has a titanium spindle & custom cup
assembly by Phil Wood. all hangers brazed on (nothing will bolt
on due to the oversize tubes) 10 3/4" BB height for getting the
jump out of the last turn. 74 degrees parallel. can you say
"criterium" ? sure, i knew you could. ;-) even if you run silks, this
SOB will rattle you off the road in about 35 miles.

>Not until the correct time, as determined by consulting
>an officially certified Swiss chronometer.  Now, we could
>further explore this and other topics of mutual interest
>once peace breaks out in full boring bloom on the PLUG,
>BLUG, BALUG and other hostile zones...

...anybody got a Breitling Premier with square pushers (50's)
looking for a good home ?

>Actually, since first picking up this thread earlier
>today, I have jumped in the car, drove 50 miles to the
>"Autumn Photo Fair" in San Jose, treated myself to a LN 5th
>version 50mm Summicron with detachable hood and focusing lever,
>ran into fellow BALUG member and rock 'n' roll photographer Jerry
>Haussler who was sporting a mint black enamel M4 around his neck
>like a jeweled neckace and carrying a brown paper sack full of old
>Nikon F2 stuff he had just bought, bought Jerry and me hotdogs and the
>world's most expensive cokes outside of Candlestick Park while we talked
>about how tense the LUG had become and maybe it was time to liquor
>everybody up again over dinner, drove back to pick up my daughter
>from her piano lesson, tried out my new lens by taking snaps of
>my daughter in the hardware store buying spray paint to use for
>refinishing her cello case, walked down our street with wife &
>daughter to check out the new neighborhood Thai restaurant for dinner,
>went to the video rental place to see if there was anything new
>worth watching, there wasn't, so I came home and logged on again,
>and all you worthy gents were still here having the same impassioned
>crazy cool arguments! Is this a great country, or what?!?

i think it's "or what" ;-)
yeah, the big boys didn't take the bait on the Trophy M4 enamel, but at
least i cashed in my 21 SA F4 & '72 35 summi w/ tab on the diaphragm
ring. makes up for some of the glass upgrades over the past year.
guess i'll have to take some pix of the Trophy & shop her around that
way. i've had bragging rights long enough. 'course with that logic,
i'd have to sell an Epiphone or 2 (or 5, but not the ones pictured in
"american guitars"), maybe even a D'Angelico...
naahhh... a man's gotta have SOME bragging rights, doesn't he ? ;-)
i guess when you can land a N-word F2 w/ MD2 & MB1 for under
$500, you can justify it. 'sides i still use some of that stuff for Laguna
Seca & Sears Point. ...and for the record i prefer the label 'blues'
photographer, but i guess if you looked up the Elvis Costello web site
or had a copy of Jerry Miller's (ex-Moby Grape) latest CD, that could
make a liar out of me. gosh, if i _was_ shooting rock, maybe i'd make
some money ! good thing i have a day job.
truth be known, i'm just a groupie with a camera, too many guitars
at home in the closet(s)  & not enough discipline or guts to do the right
thing. ie; put the cameras down & "cross the line"...
...before the alarm goes off... and i have to wake up.
on second thought Peter, this _is_ a great country.
well...somewhere there's a single malt with my name on it.
jerry
www.zephyrblau.com
p.s. next time you see an old Porsche coming out of the carousel
at sears point with a bumper sticker that reads "Oscar Barnack
for president" stop by the pits & say hello.