Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarger advice
From: Robert Browne <rbrowne@iopener.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 17:41:34 -0500

I'll second Mike Johnston's recommendation for the Durst M70 enlarger for 35mm use. It's more versatile and sturdier than their less expensive offerings. I've used the larger 4X5 Durst L-1200 enlarger with a variable contrast head in a professional B&W lab for the past ten years and the M70 is the one I would buy for personal use.

I'd go with the variable contrast head over the condenser head. Once you use a stepless head with variable contrast papers to dial in the exact contrast you need, you will never go back to a head allowing only half grade filters.

Is Durst the Leica of enlargers? Maybe in most respects, but handholding is not recommended.

Robert Browne