Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: alignment tool, was <Walt, you are dead wrong>
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 15:37:10 -0600 (CST)

Dan, get somebody to adjust your RF that knows what they're doing.
It doesn't make a damn to me or anybody else but Jim how in the
hell they do it...
As for the "exact tool the designer intended", I answer:
Is this the same idiot bastard that designed the slow speed
geartrain that DOESN't disengage the pallet at the end of travel?

The same idiot that designed the post M4 sync block?
The same idiot that designed the curtain brakes that have
never come CLOSE to the performance of an 45 year old Nikon?
How 'bout that rewind stack on the M2/3...or its KLUGE replacement
on the M4/6?....

Now, if we could get a Nikon SP body/shutter with M-mount and
RF, letting Cosina build the finder optics....well, I can hope, can't
I?....
The M bodies are a necessary evil of using Leica glass...and yes,
they're >>>PRETTY<<< good, so we live with them....
If the reissue Nikon S2 ...COSTS...Nikon over $5000 to build,
and I have no way to dispute their claim, do you REALLY believe
that the M6 at $1800 street price is built as well?...what part of
Leica M design have the "designers" IMPROVED in 45 years???

The RF "tool" is a kludge....as was the rewind on the M4....
as is the sync block on the hot shoe models...as is the .58 model...
you mean in 50 years they couldn't shoehorn more eye relief into
the RF?....so the shrink the damn thing and with it the accuracy...
all the while building the 75 1.4 and the 90 f2.....which even
according to Erwin are at the ragged edge of a .72's ability
to focus...IF and only IF the damn thing holds infinity...

But we idiots still buy the stuff....and buy SEPARATE MODELS
to use the already limited selection of lenses...

This is the expertise of the same folks that brought you
the now-infamous "tool".....that the "designers" intended
you to use....and you damn well better, cuz if you shoot their
premier glass wide open, you might not get the eyes in focus
if your RF is off...

Sorry Dan, I got to raging again....
get the RF close and go out and make pictures...if you want
to shoot close ups of sharp eyelashes buy a Nikon and an 85...
Walt

On