Subject: Re: [Leica] Horses for Courses
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 13:17:48 EST

In a message dated 11/2/00 11:05:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
horsts@primus.com.au writes:

<< I maintain, that I get a better and more pleasing print  when taken with
my (luckily
 coated) Summar, than with the latest Summicron when shooting an extremely
contrasty
 scene.
 Example: A bright sunny day in a forest when the sun comes from the side, or
of an
 Australian dusty dry country town. Try it and you may agree. On the other
hand the
 Summar can often not compare with an evening scene, taken wide open with the
 Summicron. >>

    I couldn't agree more.  And do not by any means forget to mention the
role that selection of film plays, especially with transparencies, but with
print film as well.  Finally, paper and developer selection and printing
technique are important variables.  The trick is to match the right lens at
the right aperture with all other variables, especially the lighting
conditions, to reach the desired result.  It's all a matter of selecting the
right tools for the job and using them optimally.
    By the way, the recent high-saturation ISO 100 chromes from Kodak add a
nice "kick" to overall levels of intensity with my older lenses, going back
to the coated Summitar.  Same with 100 Gold.  Also, Agfa HDC 100 to 400
appear to have enhanced saturation and contrast.  These days, the choices are
plentiful and excellent.

Joe Sobel