Subject: RE: [Leica] My "real world" digital experience
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 13:31:09 -0800

Yes, I mean 12 bits from the scanner.  I was speaking from Photoshop's point of view - the file it imports is 48-bit RGB.  I don't know the TIFF file format, but I'd expect that the 16-bit words are 0-filled.

BTW, filling leftover portions of data bytes with 0's is not something we should just do on a whim any more.  According to http://www.onion.com/onion3311/microsoftpatents.html Microsoft has taken out a patent on the numbers 0 and 1.  So any time you add them to an existing data byte, you should pay royalties.  Otherwise you risk a visit from Bill's lawyers in their black helicopters.

Paul