Subject: Re: [Leica] XTOL times/dilutions WAS Developer Question Again
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 11:12:46 -0800

Austin Franklin wrote:

> > I think Xtol/Tri-X is a good combination but only at the 1:2 or 1:3
> > dilution.
>
> What ASA?  Have you tried D-76 1:1?  I shoot typically at 800, and use D-76
> 1:1 at 12.5 minutes at 75F, and I really like the results.  I tried X-Tol,
> and didn't really like it...but I'll try the higher dilution...

There was much discussion by the inventors of Xtol of Xtol being a speed film.
The real point was that it was not the opposite.
Many would have thunk such extreme high quality results would be at the expense
of some speed like with Pyro.
Not to be the case.
With Tri X you get a full as a 400 out of it. No more no less.
The times I've overdeveloped it has not brought out any additional shadow
density. Only highlight density.
So its speed is right on.
I shot over a hundred rolls of it at 1:2 and my shadow detail was never an issue.
And shadow detail is where we determine if we are giving the right exposure or not.
So with Xtol I'd trust the numbers on the Box first.
Except delta 3200 which I've found to be 1200.
Used straight or even 1:1 Xtol will be too smooth for many people despite it's
grainlessness the lack of edge effects will fool the viewer into thinking he is
not getting the sharpness he is used to getting with standards like D76 1:1 or
Rodinal 1:50+. The smoothness is mistaken for softness. Check the print with a
lupe and the detail is there.
The lack of grain will also contribute to this "soft" impression. We think of
grain as sharpness.
At 1:3 we'll see some finally visible grain with 400 speed films at a 9 x
magnification and we will also get enough edge effects to make the objects in
the print stand out the way we are used to seeing with our D76 1:1 or Rodinal 1:50+.
Although the grain pattern is very fine it is also very sharp and even. More
importantly the image itself resolves very very well. It really has the
sharpness of Rodinal with the fine grain of Microdol. A lot to swallow i know.
mark rabiner

Replies: Reply from "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com> ([Leica] FWIW)