Subject: RE: [Leica] Whose confused??? Erwin didn't say that.... What did he say???
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 12:57:11 -0500

> But I crave practical, useable
> information in these regards (the digital equivalent of xtol at
> 1:2, 13min @ 68?, delta 100, etc).

I shoot with film, I do not use a digital camera except for point and
shoot.

I prefer Tri-X at 800 developed in D-76 1:1 for 12.5 minutes at 75F, or
Plus-X, again using D-76 1:1 (don't remember the developing time, but I
think it's 9 minutes?).  I scan them at 5080DPI, and adjust all my contrast
and brightness (gamma curves) in the scanner software.  I do not use PS to
adjust anything, since it can lead to posterization (missing gray
levels...which happens when you adjust an 8 bit image in an 8 bit space).
 My scanner works in a 16 bit space, and outputs in an 8 bit space.

I then read the image into PhotoShop, rotate it so it's in the orientation
I want, and use ImageSize, making sure to uncheck "Resample Image"...  I
adjust the width or height and don't pay any attention to the "resolution"
unless it falls below 240 or so...  I print using an Epson 1160 and 3000
using the PS Plug-in and quad tone inks from www.piezography.com.  I
typically print 13x19 from both my 35mm and 2 1/4" negatives, and the
results are very very good.

So, keep using your film, and favorite developers, get a good scanner
(suggest the Polaroid SprintScan 4000)...