Subject: [Leica] Film question
From: Oliver Bryk <obryk@flash.netdex.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 06:56:34 -0800

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:45:53 -0600
From: Don Lawrence <DLawrence@fkp.com>
Subject: Subject: [Leica] Film question
I would highly recommend trying Agfa Optima II 400. It is a fantastic
film.
Beautiful colors that are a bit more subtle than Kodak Royal or Fuji
Superia.
Don

I have no experience with Optima 400 but I have been using Optima 100 as
my standard color film for MF landscape work for over 10 years. To my
eyes its color rendition is highly accurate; early on I made a test
where I took an 11x11 enlargement back to the location on the Colorado
Plateau where I had made the exposure. IMHO Optima requires a skilled
printer, and is not meant to be a portrait film. Since 1998 I have used
Optima 100 and 200 in my M6, and I am very pleased.
On several occasions in Europe I could not find Optima and bought Agfa's
HDC instead. It is a slightly lower priced product with nearly the same
characteristics as Optima which is (to me) an acceptable alternative
for travel photography.
Oliver Bryk