Subject: RE: Re: [Leica] Digital progress
From: austin@darkroom.com
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:04:59 -0800

> I feel that as the size of image files increase, that
> there will be a concomitant increase in the ability to
> compact and squeeze the files into smaller and smaller
> packages.

Storage densities have way outpaced the 'increase' in digital
imaging size.  It is digital video that takes up a LOT more room,
not still photos.

Remember, when people used to use Stacker to get 2x or more out
of their hard drive?  Well, almost no one uses that that type
of technology at all today, principly because of the inexpensive
MASSIVE hard disks that are available for very little cost.

I don't disagree that compression of images isn't a good thing,
but it really has almost nothing to do with digital imaging...it's
more file storage.

- -----