Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital progress
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:00:32 -0500

on 30/10/00 8:50 am, Austin Franklin at austin@darkroom.com wrote:

>> What's the MB value for 100 film?  I think you have the answer and will
>> appreciate if you can share it with the rest of us.
>
> It depends on the film type, exposure, development and what you deem as
> equivalent.  My experience shows 8000DPI will get you to 'resolving' grain.
> That would end up with 8,000 x 12,000 x 3, or 2.88M bytes for 8 bit/pixel
> color, and 96M bytes for 8 bit grayscale.

You mean 288 Mb I think? Anyway, our reztimate is the same for 100 film.

Most filmscanners can pull out 12 bits of data, so unless you chuck 4 bits
away which seems to defeat the purpose of the exercise, you have to think in
terms of 16 bits, which is why my numbers were twice yours.

When you consider 4x5 film the numbers get really scary. Using 16 bits and
your figures above you arrive at file sizes of 2.5 Gb and 7.7Gb for
monochrome and BW respectively. I guess these numbers are kind of
meaningless in the real world, in the sense that to take advantage of the
resolution you would have to output five-foot long four-foot wide prints at
600 dpi. Nevertheless there *are* printers out there that can do this...
such a print would be pretty radical, right?

One thing such an amazing print would let you do would be to comfortably
view a wideangle shot from the true centre of perspective, which is always
cool. Let's say you used a 90mm lens and made a five-foot wide print... the
magnification is 12x, so you'd stand just over a metre away looking at a
print which had the quality of a 16x12 from 35mm.

Hmmmm... now I'm tempted... that leafscan of yours, Austin.... what did you
say its dpi was???

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com