Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital progress
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 18:33:41 -0500

> I can't see that the calculations are cutting edge technology, but it is
> more advanced than desktop scanners.

What do you believe, algorithmically, is required of the Kodak sensor that
makes the claim that 'the technology is in the algorithm'?  I believe new
algorithms will develop, look at GF, but whether they are 'rocket science',
useful, or necessary ... or not, is debatable.  One can always make
something complicated, if they want, but the need isn't there.

BTW, I disagree that calculations used for a digital camera are more
advanced 'than' desktop scanners...some, if not most, perhaps, but not all.
 The Leafscan has a Motorola DSP in it.  I'm sure it's even far more
complicated than most any digital camera...