Subject: Re: [Leica] Schneider screw mount lenses?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 12:35:54 -0400

At 08:38 PM 10/27/2000 -0400, Isaac Crawford wrote:
>Did Schneider make Leica screw mount lenses? If they did, were they just
>copies of the other German lines or were they different designs. Of course
>the all important question, do they cost a lot today?

Well, the definitive work on this subject is NON-LEITZ LEICA THREAD-MOUNT
LENSES:  A THIRTY-NINE MILLIMETER DIVERSITY by <a-HEM> Marc James Small.
There are numerous references to the JSK lenses produced in LTM and some
meaty and thoughtful analyses as well.  I encourage you most heartily to
procure yourself a copy of this witty and insightful book immediately!

Specifically, the 2.8/35 Xenotar, 1.5/50 Xenon, 2/50 Xenon, and 3.5/135
Tele-Xenar were in regular production in coupled LTM during and after the
War, while the 4.5/135 Tele-Xenar and the 2/125 and 2.3/125 Xenon  Spezial
lenses are often found adapted to uncoupled LTM.  All are fine lenses.

These are unique JSK designs though the 1.5/50 Xenon shares a common
lineage with the Leitz Xenon and Summarit.

The cost of these lenses in today's market is problematic.  Certainly, they
sell for peanuts compared to the Voigtlander Nokton or Ultron in LTM and
for less than the Carl Zeiss Jena LTM lenses.  But the JSK lenses generally
do bear some freight.  I would suspect $200 for the 35mm and 2/mm lenses
and $125 for the 135 Tele-Xenar would be reasonable, with the 1.5/50 Xenon
perhaps going for $300.  But, then, there are dealers out there who don't
know these lenses ...

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!