Subject: Re: [Leica] costs of Digital Darkroom, was: Would you start a wet darkroom today?
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller,EMW)
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 10:20:00 -0400 (EDT)

>On 27 Oct 00, at 16:16, Isaac Crawford wrote:

>I can run film in my bathroom, but it would take me an hour to set
>up and break down a printing setup there (still much less than
>ideal), and I don't know where I'd store the equipment when it
>wasn't in use.
>
>The costs aren't just in equipment, and aren't just financial.

This is certainly a legitimate point...and, for the person just starting up
in photography and printing, life circumstances could bring to bear many
reasons for going digital - aside from the great added expense.  OTOH, for
those of us who've been doing this for decades, who have darkrooms with
great equipment - to be told what simple-minded luddites we are for not
"upgrading" to digital is outrageous.  To produce digitally prints equal in
quality to that in my 16x20s from my 8x10 negatives would cost me many tens
of thousands of dollars.  Such comments make me wonder what sort of rock
these naysayers live under.  Use technology appropriate to the task and
within economic limits reasonable to the outcomes.  Fairly simple priciples,
I think.

Curt
                       Curt Miller, M.P.A.
                  Classic Photography by Miller
         B&W Fine Art Photography and Printing Minox to 8x10
                   http://www.curt-miller.com

                        Elizabeth Mei Wong
    Birding with Women Outdoors at http://www.women-outdoors.org/
            or with Berkshire County's Hoffman Bird Club

           Pittsfield, Massachusetts - In the Berkshires