Subject: [Leica] Chrome Summilux 50
From: Ken Lai <ken@compose.com.hk>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 08:18:42 +0800

I have just received the 2nd version chrome 50 summilux I bought on eBay.
The glass is in v. good condition. But the focus ring is kind of funky. On
one end (1m) the ring is quite tight, and then at around 2m, it suddenly
becomes loose, then suddenly tighten at around 2.5m and loosen again and
then tighten up again after 5m. I haven't taken any shots with this lens yet
so I am not sure whether this will cause any problem. Also the aperture ring
is tight for 1.4 to 5.6 and after 5.6 becomes much looser.

Are these expected behaviour of older lenses? Should I send this back to
Leica and have someone CLA it? Given that the glass is so clean, I really
don't want someene to take apart my lens just to smoothen the focus and
aperture ring tension. But if this indicates some bigger problems, then I
will probably either return the lens or have it CLA'ed. What do you think?

Ken Lai

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Chrome Summilux 50)