Subject: [Leica] Re: standalone photos
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:17:50 -0700

On 27 Oct 2000, Robert Appleby wrote, at least in part:

> I remember reading where Cornell Capa said they took his brother's
> picture of the spanish civil war shooting to Japan, thinking it
> was a picture with absolutely universal significance and they just
> didn't get it. How would Winogrand's picture of the bear biting
> his cage go down in Saudi Arabia, or a Mapplethorpe fistf..k?
> (Note the tactful excision of offending u and offending c). I
> think everything about a still picture is context and culture
> dependent. So there. Please, Roger, let's be at loggerheads! No?
> Oh alright then.... Rob.

Lissen here, Rob, I was arguing wit Alan, and now you pop in to
shore him up. Don't nobody out there agree wit me? 8^)

When you get right down to it, as long as cultures vary,
markedly, in various areas of the world, an extensive film clip
(more like a feature movie) would be necessary to explain it to
the locals. In any given area or areas assuming similar mores, I
still say that the still photo can, and, just as often, does contain
all that is necessary to stand by itself.

Ok, loggerheads it is!

- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org