Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Linux, was: Fast handling Leica "0"
From: "Tim Spragens" <info@borderless-photos.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:30:14 +0200

On 27 Oct 00, at 14:30, Chuck Albertson wrote:

> Could be that Linux is easier to administer, but we're a small firm and
> really can't afford a full-time admin. Besides, the Novell system has been
> fairly stable through the years and we're loath to change that. The last
> file server crash (couple of years ago, due to a defective drive) was quite
> costly in terms of lost work.

I don't have the luxury of being a full-time admin, or hiring one, and
we've got a Novell server that's been clicking along now for some
years, I'm not about to switch from Novell to Linux. But if I were
installing a file server now, I'd likely choose Linux. It isn't just
pressure from MS that's pushed Novell out of the server business.

> From the news this morning, though, it looks like Windows is going open
> source. (No wonder my brothers out at Redmond have been unreachable the last
> couple of days.)

Hadn't seen that news, and can't say that I'd take it at face value...

Replies: Reply from chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson) (Re: [Leica] OT Linux, was: Fast handling Leica "0")
Reply from Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com> (Re: [Leica] OT Linux, was: Fast handling Leica "0")