Subject: Re: slide rule analogy (was: Re: [Leica] Would you start a wet darkroom today?)
From: ken@iisaka.org
Date: 26 Oct 2000 15:53:00 -0700

On Thu, 26 October 2000, Douglas Herr wrote:

> You make a good point Tim, but whether it works depends on the kid's learning style.  My older daughter (16 years old) just wants results and doesn't give a (insert favorite expletive) how she gets there while the younger one (12 years old) wants to understand and control the details of the process.  BTW, of the two, one prefers a P&S and the other prefers Leica-R with 60mm macro lens.  Any guesses which one prefers the R?

That's Boof, of course.

I find myself enjoying the process often more than the final result.  I enjoy practising the piano almost more than playing in a concert, I enjoy travelling than the destination, and I like the process of taking pictures and processing them, almost more than hanging a print on the wall.

In some ways, I'm scared of the final results: they are final.  That's probably why I rarely show final prints to people, but I am much more comfortable showing contact sheets, test strips, and raw scans of negatives.