Subject: Re: [Leica] Payment for photos
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:44:30 -0400

Steve LeHuray wrote:

> >I never made much money as a freelance photographer even though I have
> photographed, homeless bums, many celebrities even a President in the Oval
> Office. I lost count at 1,000 of photos published, but, it has been a great
> trip. And along the way I learned enough skills so that now I OWN my second
> monthly magazine.
>
> So, it seems like it all depends on where you want to be in life. Just my
> .02 cents.
>
> Steve
> Annapolis

That's EXACTLY what it's all about. Nobody goes into writing, and very few people
go into photography, to make money - in the sense that people get MBAs to make
money. You write, you photograph, you paint, you make music, not even because you
want to, but because you have to. These are callings, compulsions, addictions, and
the ability to do any of them well is not a learned skill, it is a gift. ANYONE who
is reasonably intelligent can learn to write a simple declarative sentence, take a
well exposed photograph, paint a picture - maybe, or play an instrument. But anyone
who can do any of those things really well, is able to do so because they were born
with something the average person is not born with.

And, by the way, if you are really good at an art/craft, AND you hustle like hell
and are clever about marketing yourself, you can make a very good living.

B. D.