Subject: slide rule analogy (was: Re: [Leica] Would you start a wet darkroom today?)
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 26 Oct 2000 13:55:55 -0700

On Thu, 26 October 2000, "Tim Spragens" wrote:

> On 26 Oct 00, at 10:39, Douglas Herr wrote:
>
> > I'd go digital.  Here's why:
> >
> > ) Chemical darkrooms today are where slide rules were in the early 1970's.
> > Would you teach him to use a slide rule, or a calculator?
>
> Excellent analogy - people who learned calculators without learning
> sliderules missed understanding the nature of analog relationships.
> I'd say teaching the wet darkroom would instruct in more than
> making photos, and would be a better place to start.

I never got decimal places right on a slide rule.

You make a good point Tim, but whether it works depends on the kid's learning style.  My older daughter (16 years old) just wants results and doesn't give a (insert favorite expletive) how she gets there while the younger one (12 years old) wants to understand and control the details of the process.  BTW, of the two, one prefers a P&S and the other prefers Leica-R with 60mm macro lens.  Any guesses which one prefers the R?

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento