Subject: Re: [Leica] Would you start a wet darkroom today?
From: Curt Miller <cmiller@berkshire.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 14:47:51 -0400 (EDT)

Great question.  I have worked in a wet darkroom for over 40 years now and
while digital is making (and will continue to make) great strides, quality
is still behind silver and, from a visceral perspective (highly debatable,
of course), nothing can beat the tranquility of the darkroom.  No
environment is more conducive to creativity.  I sit at a computer,
constructing complex mathematical models all day long.  Last thing I want
to do is spend my nights in front of a CRT, constructing images of
inferior quality.  On another front, consider any investment you make in
good used wet darkroom enlarging equipment: a Leica enlarger will likely
appreciate.  computer stuff will not.

For the moment, computer photography seems best limited to those who make
their living in photography, particularly wedding, sports and newspaper
shooters, who can drastically cut their film/processing costs and
turnaround times as well as write the costs off against taxes.  The
amateur can't benefit from any of these items.  Another point is that
because of the frenzy for computer photography, people are dumping very
expensive chemical darkroom equipment at ridiculous prices, sometimes
yours for the asking.  Two years ago I bought a like-new Omega D4 with
Schneider Componons, Chromega head and a slew of also like-new accessories
for $400!  It's really a no-brainer for the amateur/part-time pro.

Curt