Subject: [Leica] Re:Glowing Epsons ?
From: Bill Lawlor <wvl@marinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:21:06 -0700

I just realized this GLOW thread is inconsiderate of the Piezo
printing crowd. What with no chance to experiment with old Focomats
and Kodak Flourlite enlargers, exotic fiber papers,  or early issue
enlarging lenses they must feel just left out.

Won't some creative programmer develop a plug-in for Photoshop that
provides a menu of new filters to recreate those glowing days of
yesteryear? Luggers can suggest their favorite filters. For starters,
I suggest "gUR-Lieca", "Red Dial", "Early HCB", "Zeiss HCB", "
Uncoated Ortho Brovira", and "Erwin's Nightmare" (a.k.a. 20 year old
Pentax).

Meanwhile, I intend to put Mike's formula for glow to the test. Out
in the garage I actually have a binder full of negatives decades old
shot on Plus-X, with a yellow filter, at ASA 64, developed in D-76
1:1. And, they were shot with a Spotmatic using the recommended
55mm/1.8 lens as well as a CZ Jena 25/4. (I hope I fixed them long
enough to be printable today.) Further, Lawlor's Museum of Forgotten
Photographica( a.k.a. my darkroom) includes working examples of 1937
Valoy, 1930's Leitz VAROB enlarging lens, ditto Zeis uncoated
Componon, 1937 Focomat, 1948 Kodak Flourlite A coldlite enlarger, and
a 1957 Beseler 45 with a difusion head. Agfa, Ilford, Kodak, Forte
and Cachet FB papers are in modest supply together with a fresh
bottle of Agfa Neutol.

My work is cut out, but, heck, I'm a History teacher and I love the
past. Will any Lugger offer webspace to display the results?

Bill Lawlor

p.s. I just remembered, some of those old Pentax lenses were made
with RADIOACTIVE GLASS! Maybe that's where the glow came from?