Subject: [Leica] Noise and Leicas
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:31:49 -0400

At 10:21 AM 10/24/2000 -0400, Douglas Cooper wrote:
>Oh, and speaking of Leicas, there really is no comparison between the feel
of my M3 DS and my M4-P.  The older body is much
>quieter as well.  And the M4-P is considerably quieter than the M6 I
recently checked out at Tamarkin.

The M3, M2, and M4 use brass gears which mesh more quietly than the steel
gears used in the M4-P and later RF cameras.  The brass gears lap in
rapidly to bring about that silky feel to the advance.  However, the brass
gears will need replaced every 250,000 rolls or so, while the steel gears
will operate virtually forever without failure.

It's a matter of degree ...

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!