Subject: Re: [Leica] Problem or Normal?
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 08:19:30 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

It's not "normal", but it's very common, and probably a non-issue....
as you turn the knob from high to low speeds, the low speed cam follower
moves the geartrain into engagement (speeds below 1/125, if I recall--it's
been a few years since I've had one that far apart)....sometimes, on
most of the M-bodies I've owned, the gear train hesitates a tiny bit before
"falling" into engagement....hence the "tap" you hear after turning to
a lower speed.

Ironically, if the geartrain DOESN"T fall into place, it seems to always
make it into the right position with the release of the shutter!!!...I've
never had one that failed to engage WHEN ACTUALLY making the exposure...
usually, I hear the little "tap" immediately after going to slower speeds,
as you describe....

It's a Leica quirk....they're wierd cameras...but not anything to get
upset about....there are lots of things I'd change about the cameras (for
example, the pallet wheel doesn't dis-engage at the end of long exposures...
why not?....the screwmounts did, as did all the Nikon clones (the "traditional"
Nikon shutter, up to the F2, was almost exactly the same as a Leica SM, and
was evolved to a very high degree indeed--as were the Canon RFs, but not
the SLRS)

If you ever DON'T get the slow speeds when set, then have it serviced...but
I doubt it'll ever happen....

Good luck with your new camera,
Walt

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 22:07:02 -0400 Gilbert Plantinga
<gilplant@earthlink.net> wrote:As