Subject: [Leica] Re:If a rock flies in the forest.....
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 18:38:19 -0400

Michael,
    Are you talking about the same "Free Press" that brought you Watergate,
Iran-Contra and countless other government scandals, that does the bidding
of the Government or are you talking about the imaginary one everyone "sees"
when they don't like what they see in the news?
    Bill Lawor asks a very valid question, "Take away the press and what
limits the power of the state?" Wasn't it, Thomas Jefferson who said, "If I
have to choose between a government with out newspapers or newspapers with
out government, I would infinitely prefer the latter?"
    Just because, I'm lucky enough to earn a living doing what I love,
doesn't give you the right to condemn me. Beside, photographs can and DO
make a difference. Eddie Adams' Street Corner Execution," Nick Ut's "Napalm
Girl," not to mention Johnny Filo's Kent State photo did more to change
public opinion against the war, than any demonstration.
    What about W. Eugene Smith's Minamata Essay? It did a lot of good for
the people of that village.
    Enjoy your trees, sunsets, and weddings but don't knock the work we do.
Happy Snaps,
Sal DiMarco, Jr.