Subject: [Leica] Re: critique pictures, not people
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 17:42:03 -0700

On 21 Oct 2000, Brian Reid wrote, at least in part:

> I don't mind seeing critiques of pictures, cameras, developers,
> dead photographers, publishers, picture agencies, or wedding
> traditions. I'll even put up with criticism of Tri-X. But
> critiques of live people, whether or not they are members of the
> Leica Users Group, is outside the bounds of appropriate use of
> this forum.

Critiques of people, live or dead, is part and parcel of living, and
has gone on since human time began. It's how the criticizing is
done that matters.

Done in an mature way, with the best facts at your disposal,
properly cited, and resisting the tendency to become ad
hominem in nature, it is great stuff. It's difficult to separate the
animate from the inanimate when criticizing. The picture that
you don't like was made by a photographer, therefore, the
photographer comes in for criticism. Enter the first part of this
paragraph.

It could well be the toughest thing in the world to do, but it sure
is a noble endeavor. Whether we try to do it 'the right way' on
this list is Brian's call. Perhaps it is a compelling reason to stay
even more topical.

Ayn Rand, IMHO, fits beautifully here.

"The precept: Judge not, that ye be not judged... is an
abdication of moral responsibility. It is a moral blank check one
gives to others in exchange for a moral blank check one
expects for oneself. The moral principle to adopt is: Judge, and
be prepared to be judged."

Apologies to the bible belt; I just happen to agree with it.

- --
Roger
Mailto:roger@beamon.org

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: critique pictures, not people)