Subject: [Leica] Re: late night musings
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:20:22 -0700

At 10:19 AM 10/21/00 +0200, Robert Appleby wrote:

>Nothing wrong with Mike's position, it just isn't the position of someone
>who's primarily interested in the pictures, but more in the
>optical/mechanical characteristics of the equipment. Which is also
>interesting, but simply irrelevant to snapping.
>
>I've never been able to get the idea that somehow older, less "sharp"
>lenses with the "glow" (which is presumably just veiling flare) are better
>or more interesting than modern ones. In practical terms, that is. As for

>the M3 etc against the M6 sort of thing, just try using those dinosaurs in
>fast changing light with slide film. Or changing twenty films a day with
>the old reel-to-reel set up! No thanks. The M6 just works better, and the
>new asph lenses just give better results.
>
>Rob.

I completely agree with you Rob. And yes, there is nothing wrong with
Mike's position. I have no problem with collectors either. I've had this
almost uncontrollable urge to buy an LHSA M6. Why? Only because it is
gorgeous. I would have to sell one of my two M6's to get it. Which one? I'm
not willing to let either go as they are "perfect" cameras in all respects.
Why sell a known quantity for an unknown quantity. I use my M6's as
cameras, they are not items of "adornare."

I have an M3 which basically sits. Yes, it is smooth as silk, has that
heft, that feeling of unparalleled greatness. But it is a pain to load,
won't take my 35/1.4 ASPH without an aux finder (a real pain in the ass),
and no built-in meter which is real handy in many situations. So I stick to
my black & chrome M6's. They have lines for my 75/1.4, 50/1.4, & 35/1.4
ASPH. These the M focal lengths that I truly love to use. And an M6 fits
them perfectly.

I don't make a living with my cameras. I do, however, make a considerable
amount via them, but I don't live on it. My wife and I have published four
regional Leica photography books and I do a lot of fine art (Ciba and
LightJet) prints that sell well. So I like simple to use photographic
equipment. Leica M6's and R7's, Hasselblad, Linhof. All very utilitarian.
Oh yeah, I use a tripod 99.9% of the time with the R7's, Hasselblad, &
Linhof. 25% of the time with my M6's. You want to make a big print, you
need to control what goes on to the film.

On Monday, my wife and I are going away for a week. A little R&R, but
shooting a lot of new stuff for my workshop and if the things work out, new
fine art images. Basically, snapping constantly for a week. All with a
purpose and end in mind.

Jim