Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: dry & wet darkroom :-()-:
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:44:13 -0400

At 08:27 PM 10/17/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Tina Manley jotted down the following:
>
> > Have you seen a piezography print?
> >
>I don't know.  Does it matter?  I wouldn't have thought that my seeing a
>piezography print changes the nature of the process.

How can you judge something without seeing it first?

>Is it?  I would argue that there are too many variables that cannot be/are
>not controlled, such as exact temperature of chemical baths, exact amount of
>residue from previous prints, exact agitation pattern, exact time in baths,
>exact coating of paper, darkroom humidity, air quality in drying room, etc.,
>etc., etc.
>
>The default for piezography, ink-jets, or similar processes, is that each
>print is the same.  You have to work to get them different.

As anyone who has tried printing with the Epson printers can tell you,
humidity, inks, temperature, paper surface, paper weight, thickness
settings, etc., can all make a difference.  It's not as easy to get
identical prints as you might think.

>In purchasing products, we pay for consistency and similarity.  In
>purchasing art, we pay for uniqueness.  Funny world, isn't it ;)

I still think we pay for uniqueness of image, not uniqueness of process.

Tina

Replies: Reply from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Re: dry & wet darkroom :-()-:)