Subject: Re: [Leica] Spider Webs
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 18:52:53 -0700

I have taken hundreds of photographs of spider webs, though usually
with a Speed Graphic and not a Leica. There are two secrets:

  1. Lighting. Stark high-contrast sidelight works best for me.
  2. Moisture. Wet webs look better.

Natural Lighting is best at sunrise. There is no dew at sunset. If you
are not doing photojournalism, then take along an atomizer that can put
a very fine mist of water on the spider web. In a perfect world, there
would be morning dew, but... (Some people consider it to be cheating to
spray mist on a web.)

Pictures come out best when there is a dark background and the light is
nearly parallel to it. Polarizers give interesting effects but I don't
like them.

If you are trying to create otherworldly effects, you can atomize
liquids other than water onto the web. I found a solution of 1/4 Windex
and 3/4 water gave very interesting effects, as did corn oil.

I might be able to find some old prints. I usually printed spider web
shots on a G surface, which doesn't scan well.